Category: Culture, Museums

Archaeological Museum

Archaeological Museum

Archaeological Museum in Split, the oldest museum in Croatia, was founded in 1820. by Dalmatian government decree in Zadar. The impetus for its establishment was the arrival of King Francis I in Dalmatia in 1818., when he visited the monuments of Split as well as Solin munuments. The original museum building was built in 1821. near the east walls of Diocletian's palace, but soon it became too small for the growing number of monuments. A new era in the development of Croatian archaeology marked the work and activities of Frane Bulić. Since 1884. g. Split Museum Director Don Frane Bulic (Vranjic, 1846. - Zagreb, 1934.), a Catholic priest, archaeologist, historian and conservator, has worked more than 50 years as a field researcher, curator and writer. He has started construction of today's building of the Archaeological Museum in Split, built in 1914. The architectural complex consists of a main building with ground floor exhibition hall and library and working cabinets on the first floor, a covered lapidarium and landscaped garden. Moving in was delayed due to war , so the new museum building opened its doors to the public only at the beginning of 1922. The museum conducts regular archaeological excavations at three sites: Salona, Narona and Issa, and has a branch building in Solin - Tusculum, and two archeological collections - Narona collection in Vid near Metkovic and Issa collection in Vis. Approximately 150 000 artifacts (from prehistoric times, the period of Greek colonization of the Adriatic, Roman, early Christian period to the early Middle Ages and the period of Croatian national rulers) are arranged in collections. There is a significant collection of stone inscriptions from Salona (around 6000), a collection of Hellenistic Greek pottery, Roman glass, ancient clay lamps (about 1600), bone, metal objects and a collection of gems (largest in the country). The museum houses an extensive collection of ancient and medieval coins (over 70 000) and owns rich library and archive fundus. The new permanent exhibition in the renovated museum is opened on 18th of December 2000.

Comments